We are looking to hire a hard-working Kitchen Helpers to clean, stock, and maintain the kitchen as well as help with the preparation of meal ingredients. The Kitchen Helper’s responsibilities include retrieving ingredients from the refrigerator, freezer, and stockroom, measuring ingredients as per the Cook’s instructions, and removing leftovers from patrons’ plates, bowls, and glasses. You should also be able to ensure that all work areas are properly sanitized.
To be successful as a Kitchen Helper, you should demonstrate sound knowledge of proper food handling procedures and remove expired or spoiled ingredients from the refrigerator, freezer, and stockroom. Ultimately, an outstanding Kitchen Helper should be able to follow all food health and safety regulations and display exceptional organizational skills to ensure the timely completion of kitchen duties.
- Preparing meal ingredients for the Cook, which includes washing, peeling, cutting, and slicing ingredients.
- Assisting kitchen staff to unload food supplies from delivery trucks.
- Properly washing and drying all dishes, utensils, cooking instruments, and cutting boards.
- Neatly putting away all utensils, cooking instruments, dishes, and cutting boards in their respective places.
- Packing take-out orders as needed.
- Removing garbage, replacing garbage bags, and washing garbage cans.
- Mopping and sweeping the kitchen areas as required.
- Storing ingredients and food items according to food safety standards.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Proven experience helping in kitchen settings.
- A food handler’s license.
- The ability to stand for extended periods of time.
- The ability to safely use kitchen equipment and appliances.
- Sound knowledge of food safety standards and procedures.
- Strong communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
or equivalent experience
Credentials (certificates, licences, memberships, courses, etc.)
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) Certificate; Safe Food Handling certificate; First Aid Certificate; CPR Certificate; Food Safety Certificate
- Experience an asset
- Counter Attendant and Food Preparer Skills
- Use manual and electrical appliances to clean, peel, slice and trim foodstuffs; Take customers’ orders; Stock refrigerators and salad bars; Portion and wrap foods; Package take-out food; Keep records of the quantities of food used; Prepare, heat and finish simple food items
- Dishwashing Skills
- Scour pots and pans; Sanitize and wash dishes and other items by hand; Clean and sanitize items such as dishwasher mats, carts and waste disposal units; Operate dishwashers to wash dishes, glassware and flatware; Place dishes in storage area
- Equipment and Machinery Experience
- Grill; Electronic cash register; Food dispensers
- Weight Handling
- Up to 9 kg (20 lbs); Up to 13.5 kg (30 lbs)
- Security and Safety
- Criminal record check
- Transportation/Travel Information
- Own transportation; Willing to travel; Public transportation is available
- Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
- Fast-paced environment; Work under pressure; Repetitive tasks; Standing for extended periods
- Work Location Information
- Urban area
- Personal Suitability
- Effective interpersonal skills; Team player; Client focus; Reliability
- Kitchen Helpers Skills
- Wash, peel and cut vegetables and fruit; Sharpen kitchen knives; Remove kitchen garbage and trash; Handle and store cleaning products; Clean and sanitize kitchen including work surfaces, cupboards, storage areas, appliances and equipment; Receive, unpack and store supplies in refrigerators, freezers, cupboards and other storage areas; Sweep, mop, wash and polish floors
- Food Service Helpers Specific Skills
- Replenish condiments and other supplies at tables and serving areas
How to apply
Application Closing Date